Fall is already nearing its end and winter will be here before we know it, and so will 2015! Believe it or not, this time of year is imperative for the health of your lawn. So, before the winter weather arrives, take steps to be sure that your lawn will be healthy. Below are a handful of suggestions that allow you to make the most out of your lawn’s hibernation this winter.
- In the fall season, what do the leaves do? They fall! This means that if trees surround your home, it is likely that there is a thick blanket of leaves on your lawn. Removing the leaves before snowfall is important, as the leaves will prevent your lawn from receiving light and air. Leaves can be raked, blown or vacuumed from your lawn. They can used as natural mulch in your garden and flower beds, turned into compost, or sent for composting at a local facility as done by Montgomery County, Rockville, and Gaithersburg.
- Grass does slow down its growth this time of year, but it is still growing. Complete Lawn Care recommends mowing at 2.5” for cool season grasses (Tall Fescue, Bluegrass and Fine Fescue) and 1.5” to 2” for warm season grasses (Zoysia and Bermuda grass).
- The time has passed (November 15th) for homeowners that fertilize their own lawns. Maryland Nutrient Law forbids any application of fertilizer from November 15th through March 1st.
- Professionals that have their Maryland Nutrient Management License can apply up to .5lb of fast release Nitrogen fertilizer per 1,000sf until November 30th.
- Bonus Tip: There still may be time to install spring flowering bulbs, but time is running out fast! Spring flowers add a refreshing change around your lawn, especially after the last bit of snow finally melts. If you would like to see flowers bloom come spring, fall is the time to install spring flowering bulbs!
Preparing your lawn for hibernation is an important task that should not be forgotten this fall. Clients come to Complete Lawn Care for assistance in restoring and preparing their lawns for spring 2015. Contact Complete Lawn Care for a free analysis and estimate of your lawn, today. We have a great selection of packages for homeowners, designed to fit the needs of your lawn. HAVE A SAFE AND HAPPY THANKSGIVING!